SUSI where humanity has many faces




Tunisia-Kasserine,I have been blessed enough to take part in the SUSI  program : known as the Study of the US institutes for women Leadership in Saint Mary’s college ,Indiana ,South Bend .As a participant from Tunisia ,I have spent bountiful moments being enrolled in five intensive weeks to learn more about women rights and movements along with a deep and academic approach of American history ,public policy ,institutions and lifestyle .This idealistic experience added to me many rose-colored values like :education ,empowerment and tolerance .Meeting  great leaders from different walks of life taught me that meeting with differences makes a difference .Hence, Love and tolerance are essential elements  in enticing co-existence and prosperity .In this realm ,as a young leader ,I have tried to engage in daily conversations about my religious beliefs and cultural identity .As a result ,I have noticed that people there especially the young ones are family-oriented ,curious and cheerful about knowing more about my country .I was happy to tell and retell everything related to not only my program and culture but me as a woman looking for peace in spite of any boundaries .Thanks to our daily classes ,I have been introduced to choking realities about how women suffer in other countries ,ranging from  :Acid attacks in Pakistan ,Death mortality and sex trafficking in Asia and Africa.
As an English language student ,I have been amazed by seeing what was yesterday theoretical, and now I can grasp the American history, movements and women suffragists in Seneca falls, museums and different big cities .
I have learnt to believe that we can fight back hatred with understanding cultural differences ,arts and dance .During my weekend with my American host mum Pat ,I have been taught that cultural shock is not only about the great buildings or attitudes .However ,cultural shock is about rejecting otherness .Henceforth ,Dancing and playing music with my second host family ,canoeing ,daily outings and traveling to diverse city were like the ambrosia for the Gods of peace and love.
This exchange  program was a cycle of regeneration for my thoughts ,my spirits and prospective. I want to close this article by recommending you to apply for  it ,go for it ,go for change. We may differ but Saint ‘Mary’s college :faculty ,students coordinators and my sisters from different countries with different ethnicities made me realize the secret of happiness .It has many faces :materialistic ,spiritual , physical ,anthologic or even methaphysical .But what remains and perpetuates is the « human,tolerant,and multicultural one.

0 comments: